Friday, February 18, 2011

Album Review: A-1 After School Special


I think I'm going to start reviewing music albums for this blog because I get tired of talking about sports after awhile and music has really become my second passion after sports.

The first album (actually a mixtape) I want to review is A-1's After School Special. I'm sure you're asking yourself "Who is A-1?". Someone tipped me off about this mixtape last week and I gave it a listen and thought it was very interesting. A-1 is a rapper from the Bay Area and while he isn't the best rapper in the world, he makes up for it with one creative album that I wish I would have thought of at least producing before he did.

The whole premise of the mixtape is basically staying home from school because he's "sick" and turns on the television. Every song in this mixtape has an instrumental featuring a TV show from the 90's and it's like a walk down memory lane for me. There's even commercials from the 90's including Light Brites in one of the songs.

One of the reasons why I probably like this mixtape is the great instrumentals and flows that A-1 includes. Again, A-1 isn't the best rapper but he makes up for it with creative ideas. Definitely one of the more creative mixtapes I've ever listened to.

Songs:
The Price is Right---4/5. Really digging this song and the Price is Right theme song actually makes a very good instrumental. Basically the song is about being in the audience during a taping of "The Price is Right" and getting your name called and what it means to him to get to play the game.


Charizard---2/5. This song features the theme song from "Pokemon" and while it's a pretty good instrumental and he has a good flow in this song, the lyrics don't really agree with me. He focuses way more on himself than he does Pokemon which pretty much loses the whole point of the song.


All That!---4/5. Obviously the theme song from the Nickelodeon show "All That!" is featured here and once again, it's another excellent instrumental. Big fan of this song. A-1 basically looks back to the 90's and talks about how it was a much better time back then.


Family Matters---4/5. Features the theme song from "Family Matters". Again, another good instrumental. The lyrics are good as well. Basically a story about how a guy sells weed and drugs and gets caught but in the end, family matters.


Black Ranger---1/5. My least favorite track on the mixtape mainly because I don't like the "Power Rangers" song as an instrumental.


Golden Girls---5/5. Favorite song on the mixtape and completely unexpected that it would include the theme song from "Golden Girls". The theme song of the show actually makes an excellent instrumental for a rap song and I love the lyrics in this as well. Basically it's about going to a party and finding out that everyone there is elderly ladies so not only is it a solid song but there's comedy involved as well.


Reading Rainbow---4/5. Didn't like this song at first but now I'm hooked on this one. Yet another good instrumental and flow from A-1.


Goosebumps---1/5. Not a fan of this one as well mainly because I hate Satan's voice in this and I don't think the "Goosebumps" theme song makes the best instrumental.


Doug (Funnie Bitch)---3/5. Another very good instrumental and love the inclusion of "banging on the trashcan" from one of the Doug episodes. Brought back great memories. Lyrics aren't that great though in this one.


Album Rating: 7/10

Because it's a mixtape, it's free. Download it here. Give this one a shot, I recommend it.

Check back in the next week because I think the next album review will be J. Cole's latest mixtape "Friday Night Lights".

No comments:

Post a Comment