Friday, February 4, 2011

My Streak for the Cash Lock of the Day


Currently this month I'm 5-3 in ESPN's Streak for the Cash with a 4 game win streak going into today. Yesterday I correctly picked Phil Mickelson getting a par 4 on the 17th hole at the PGA Waste Management Tournament and I also correctly picked Notre Dame beating DePaul by double digits (They won by 25). I could have gone for the 5 game streak by picking one of the late college basketball games but I didn't like any of the match-ups. Gonzaga seemed like the obvious pick over Portland but I don't really trust Gonzaga this year. They've been very inconsistent this season unlike past years.

My lock of the day today is Fairfield beating Iona at home tonight in college basketball. In the past 2 months of Streak, I'm an overall 19-5 picking college basketball games. I think there is a reason for this. My strategy is every time I see the team with the better record at home, I take them. Also, I never take the better team when they are on the road unless I think it's a lock they should win. Going off records isn't always the smartest thing because you should also look at how that team has done in their last ten games or if they have any major injuries but Fairfield seems to be clear of both. Fairfield is 10-1 in conference games this year which is first in conference while Iona is just 7-4 and middle of the pack in that conference.

If you don't feel comfortable picking the Fairfield game, picking the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Oklahoma City Thunder/Phoenix Suns matchup is a solid pick. The only reason I tend to stay away from this one is Phoenix has been on a tear these last 10 games. What normally is a terrible defensive team is 3rd in the NBA in the last 10 games behind Boston and Chicago for least amount of points allowed per game. I think Oklahoma City should win this game though but I definitely think the Fairfield/Iona game is a better pick. Even though I'm a Blackhawks fan, I tend to like the Canucks beating the Blackhawks at home tonight. The only problem with picking this one is the Blackhawks have been dominant in Vancouver over the last few years. I also dislike picking hockey props in Streak because hockey is such a flukey sport and anyone can beat anyone on any given night.

Check back tomorrow for my lock of the day for Saturday. There's a whole slew of games to pick from. Might be a good day to build your streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment