Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rumor: Rockets and Bulls talking Courtney Lee for Omer Asik


From the Houston Chronicle:
There have been talks with Chicago about center Omer Asik, according to a person with knowledge of those conversations. The Bulls have been looking for a shooting guard and have inquired about Courtney Lee. Morey has been hesitant to part with Lee.

See this is a tough one for me. In my State of the Bulls post last week, I said:
I still feel like the Bulls are a decent shooting guard away from winning a championship. One good, cheap option out there is Courtney Lee. Lee is a guy that not only plays good defense but he can hit the open 3. I think Lee would be the perfect addition for this team. Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer receive so much attention on the offensive end so the Bulls need a 2 guard that can make an open shot and that's what Lee brings. You saw it in his rookie year in the playoffs when Lee was a force because Dwight Howard was commanding all the attention on the offensive end. Not to mention the fact that Lee is a pretty big upgrade over current starter Keith Bogans. Not only does Lee shoot much better compared to Bogans but he plays better defense in my opinion.

Now the question is, would I give Omer Asik for Courtney Lee? I'm very resistant about doing this. I might be blinded by Asik's great performance last night against the Jazz but Asik has been very solid for the Bulls this season. Asik really doesn't have much of an offensive game right now but he's already above average on the defensive end. There is no doubt that Courtney Lee is an upgrade over Keith Bogans as starting shooting guard but I'm not sure he's worth giving up Asik for. With Kurt Thomas more than likely retiring after this season, I think Asik would be a perfect back-up center to Noah. I'd much rather give up a 1st round pick for Lee in a weak draft and what would be a weak pick than Asik. I will say though, if the Bulls do end up taking this deal, I'll be very happy with it. I think very highly of Lee and think he would be a great addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment